A Shared Responsibility
The Grossmont Healthcare District has a close relationship with Sharp Grossmont Hospital through a unique public/private partnership. However, the two operate as separate entities. The District serves as the hospital’s official landlord while Sharp HealthCare is responsible for all business operations of Sharp Grossmont Hospital.
- A public agency
- Owns Sharp Grossmont Hospital on behalf of East County residents.
- Functions as the hospital’s landlord providing oversight under the 30-year lease.
- It is governed by a five-member, publicly-elected Board of Directors who serve four-year terms.
- A private non-profit corporation
- Leases the hospital from the District (lease expires in 2051).
- Operates the hospital in La Mesa as one of its several facilities in San Diego County.
- Governed by a selected board of citizens.