Who We Are
The Grossmont Healthcare District is a public agency that supports community health and wellness programs and services for the residents of East County.
In early 1952, East County residents voted to establish the original healthcare district, known then as the Grossmont Hospital District. Local civic leaders and physicians envisioned it as the vehicle for building a modern hospital to address the unmet healthcare needs of their rapidly growing post-WWII communities.
In August 1955, the District opened its doors to Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa.
In 1991, the governing board of the District decided to enter into a precedent-setting lease agreement for hospital operations with San Diego-based nonprofit Sharp HealthCare to deal with the daunting challenges of modern healthcare.
Today, the Grossmont Healthcare District has maintained formal ownership over the hospital, while Sharp manages all hospital operations and maintenance.
In June 2014, District voters approved the renewal of this 30-year lease agreement with Sharp HealthCare until 2051.
Visit our FAQ page to learn more.
What We Do
Today, the Grossmont Healthcare District continues to support East County:
- We operate a free health & wellness library, available to residents, current employees, and those with a healthcare connection to the District. It specializes in consumer health information and programming, both on-site and online.
- We fund local nonprofits through grants and sponsorships – and have awarded more than $65 million to nonprofit partners addressing needs specific to those living within the District.
- We support the region’s future generations through scholarships for college and high school students.
- And we act on initiatives led by the District’s five elected Board of Directors.
As stewards of the public trust, your Grossmont Healthcare District will preserve and protect those resources entrusted to its care. To maintain and improve the physical and behavioral health of its constituents, we will:
- Anticipate and recognize the unmet health care needs of the communities we serve and support suitable services to the greatest extent possible consistent with available resources.
- Collaborate with the hospital and other community partners to ensure access to state-of-the-art medical services for all of the residents of Grossmont Healthcare District and beyond.