Healthcare district will award 44 scholarships to high school students
As published in San Diego Tribune, Spring 2021
by Karen Pearlman
LA MESA — Grossmont Healthcare District on Friday will award 44 scholarships to students from 22 East County high schools for the 2020-21 school year.
The district is a public agency that supports health-related community programs and services in East County. Its five-member board of directors are set to approve more than $108,000 in scholarships at the March 19 Grossmont Healthcare District Board meeting.
School administrators chose students based on academic excellence, citizenship and a desire to improve the world through a career in the healthcare field. Students will receive up to $3,300 at the end of their first successfully-completed semester of college.
The students and their schools:
- Liberty Ramos, Hanna Kronzer (El Cajon Christian)
- Basima Albaa, Mina Mohammed (Diego Valley East Charter)
- Marleen Odeesho, Maryam Alodeesh (El Cajon Valley)
- Megan Zink, Raeann Jessee (El Capitan)
- Jazmin Brown, Trinity Ahterton (Foothills Christian)
- Sandra Ajja, Makena Chase (Granite Hills)
- Leslie Sanchez Lagunas, Sidra Alsawaf (Grossmont)
- Alex Cervantes, Julie Martinez (Grossmont Middle College)
- Alec Maraziti, Ella Ryan (Helix Charter)
- Rafael Camacho, Sydney Palmer (IDEA Center)
- Jazmine Curtis, Nykilee Bearden (Innovation Lakeside)
- Alexa Gonzalez, Brinesha Smith (Innovation Lemon Grove)
- Loreen Samaan, Maria Gautane (Liberty Charter)
- Aliyah Richardson, Zauhria Hyche (Monte Vista)
- Jennifer Vergera Marcelo, Chery Phey San Jose (Mount Miguel)
- Meghan Damery, Rianna Prince (Mountain Empire)
- Zachary Duke Shireling, Kristen Gunter (Patrick Henry)
- Grace Heller, Jocelyn Willis (River Valley)
- Keiko-Elaisa Oli, Adrian De Anda (Santana)
- Tamara Jamil, Zaid Kamal (Steele Canyon Charter)
- Rivada Orahin, Neaam Dawood (Valhalla)
- Ryann Gideon, Lauren Schraeder (West Hills)
The healthcare district has honored local high school students interested in a healthcare career with scholarship grants since 1999. Students have received individual scholarships totaling more than $1 million since that time.
Grossmont Healthcare District is a public agency that supports health related programs and services in East San Diego County. The district owns and leases the hospital to Sharp Healthcare, the operator. The district is governed by a five-member board of directors that represent more than 500,000 people residing within 750 square miles.