Grossmont Healthcare District was founded as Grossmont Hospital District in 1952 by civic leaders and physicians who wished to establish a new hospital to satisfy the unmet healthcare needs of the people of San Diego’s East County.
Grossmont Hospital was built with taxpayer funds and opened for business in 1955. Operation of the hospital was under the control of a publicly elected, five-member board of directors serving four-year terms.
Over the next 60 years, the Hospital District Board of Directors presided over the growth of a small rural community facility as it expanded into a 536-bed medical center.
In 1991, the District Board decided to turn over the hospital operations to Sharp HealthCare. The affiliation agreement included the establishment of a non-profit public corporation, Grossmont Hospital Corporation. A lease was executed between Grossmont Hospital District and Grossmont Hospital Corporation for a term of 30 years. Possession of the hospital and its assets was transferred to the corporation in exchange for payments on district bond indebtedness.
Because the board's focus has broadened to include more general health care needs and not just hospital services, the board changed its name to the Grossmont Healthcare District in 1997.
In 2014 the voters within the District's boundaries overwhelmingly passed Proposition H to extend the existing lease through 2051.
The District Board now serves as a landlord overseeing this lease on behalf of the taxpayers, who maintain ultimate ownership.
For more History information, download our Electronic Brochure by clicking here.
Grossmont Healthcare District Mission
As stewards of the public trust, your Grossmont Healthcare District will preserve and protect those resources entrusted to its care.
To maintain and improve the physical and behavioral health of its constituents, we will:
- Monitor the health care services provided at Grossmont Hospital.
- Anticipate and recognize the unmet health care needs of the communities we serve and support suitable services to the greatest extent possible consistent with available resources.